Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thoughts on Sandy Hook....

Hey guys, so I know it's been a bit of time since it happened, but I really wanted to throw up a blog post about my views concerning the shooting at Sandy Hook, gun control in general, and the state of our society.

Sandy Hook was beyond tragic, it was pitiful, a pitiful waste of human life, including the students, teachers, and the madman himself. What drove this young man to murder young children is beyond my understanding. I was shocked by the news, hearing from across an the ocean, I spoke about it in school, with my friends, and with people back home over Facebook. I wanted to feel a sense of unity from my country, an Earth moving cry saying: WE WILL RISE ABOVE THIS. But I didn't.....

The first things I saw on Facebook where statuses pointing fingers at guns, at the government, at video games, at movies, even at God. I am sure, caught up in the partisan wave, I commented on a few statuses, trying to point the blame in a direction (I honestly don't remember). But looking back I am disgusted, disgusted we let a madman with a weapon divide us, revealing Americans as a fractured people, when they should be united.....even my generation, the ones who despite what political, religious, or whatever views that we have, still manage to rise above it everyday, remained divided, pointing the finger at the other side. Most of all, I feel defeated, I feel defeated because the U.S to me was always different. We were the noble ones of the world, we fought to preserve our lives...but now we don't. We need to unite, before it's to late, before the next school shooting (several have occurred since), before the next big natural disaster, before the next terrorist attack (though, by all means, this was an act of homegrown terrorism). If we don't we fail. Simple as that.

So, in conclusion, Sandy Hook for me, was an exposition, showing how truly petty and fickle we have become, how our nobility was lost somewhere, and how we are just a step away from chaos. If the United States became truly united again, we could not only overcome this vile act of cruelty, but we could truly make the wrongs right again, regain our purpose as Americans, and lead the world by example once more.

Sean D

No comments:

Post a Comment